Infographic: Facts That Support Your B2B Marketing & ABM Email Best Practices
July 11, 2017 7:27:05 AM | By Matt Benati
Website Builder recently published an infographic showcasing 119 facts about email marketing — and you may be surprised about a few! I went through them (and added a few) so I could share some important stats that support what we’ve been saying about B2B marketing and best practices for ABM email campaigns.
Email Marketing Works
Even as new channels, like social and SMS marketing are added to our marketing toolbox, email remains a go-to strategy for one reason: it works. You simply can’t deny the effectiveness of email, especially when sophisticated strategies like segmentation and personalization are applied to really boost its power. And, because you are communicating with people who have opted in to hearing from you, your email list is already full of potential buyers.
- 77% of consumers prefer email for marketing communications
- 89% of marketers say email is their primary channel for lead generation.
- Emails convert 3x better than social media
Personalizing Your Emails
Effective personalization is more than just adding the recipient’s name in the subject line (although this simple strategy has been proven to boost your open rate!). Truly personalized email messages deliver targeted content that is relevant to leads based on their activity and where they are in your sales funnel.
If someone is new to your list, you may welcome them and offer a free checklist or download. If they are in an industry you are targeting (like finance) you may further personalize your messaging by sending them a checklist specifically created for the financial sector. People notice when organizations make an effort to deliver truly helpful, quality content.
- Personalization is the second highest used email marketing technique (58%)
- Personalized emails improve CTR by 14% and conversion rates by 10%
- Personalized subject lines results in a 26% higher open rate
Email List Segmentation
In order to personalize content, you must first segment your database. For example, you may segment leads within an account based on persona; users get informational content whereas decision makers get content about the ROI of your solution. You may further segment these lists based on how the leads are engaging with your emails; clicking a link to visit your pricing page, clicking to read your blog, scheduling a demo, etc. These are all clues about their interest level in your solution, and your subsequent messaging should reflect that.
- Marketers that segmented their lists experienced:
- 39% higher open rates
- 28% lower unsubscribe rates
- 24% better deliverability
- Targeted and segmented lead nurturing emails have a 266% greater click through rate over general email sends.
- Relevant emails using segmentation drives 18 times more revenue.
Email Timing & Frequency
When you send your emails is just as important as what you send! Not only does a single blast have the potential of triggering corporate spam filters, but sending to multiple time zones risks your email hitting inboxes at inopportune times. Finding the optimal send time for individual leads increases open rates, boosts engagement, and decreases unsubscribes,
- Emails have the best chance of being opened within an hour after they arrive.
- Sending emails once a month has the highest open rate with 25.24%
- And sending them 2x a month has the highest conversion rate with 0.27%
- 78% of consumers have unsubscribed from emails because the brand was sending too many.
- According to HubSpot, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday have the most email opens
Email Marketing Automation
In addition to the obvious time savings, email automation reduces the risk of human error and the chances of a lead ‘falling through the cracks’ and not being moved to the next appropriate phase in your nurturing process. Automation allows us to use our data in more meaningful ways, automating the process of moving leads to the right lists and sending relevant messaging. The result is higher engagement, more conversions, and increased sales velocity.
- Automation is the most used email marketing technique (74%)
- Email marketing technology is used by 82% of B2B companies.
- Automated email messages average 70.5% higher open rates and 152% higher click-through rates than “business as usual” marketing messages.
What About Email Replies?
As you can see from these stats, email marketing packs a powerful punch. And what does every campaign result in? Replies. Auto-replies and natural reply emails from your target audience are delivered straight to your inbox — which is hopefully being monitored! While a barrage of Out-Of-Office replies may seem like a nuisance, they actually contain valuable information about your target accounts and leads. But, you can only leverage this information if you’re mining your replies for intelligence.
LeadGnome is an automated reply email mining service that uses Natural Language Processing (NLP) and machine learning technologies to automatically analyze the unstructured body of reply emails to capture intelligence about your leads and accounts.
To read more about the successes our customers have had using LeadGnome to mine reply emails, check out our recent case studies for Host Analytics and DoubleDutch. Or, to find out more about mining emails for your organization, download our free Transformative B2B Demand Generation eBook. It highlights six different types of email replies, the types of intelligence LeadGnome uncovers, and shows you exactly how to leverage that intelligence for maximum impact